Thursday, September 9, 2010

REALITY CHECK

Today was a very big reality check for me. This was the first time I personally knew someone who was killed in action. Today was the memorial service for a young Corpsman that I worked with for 3 months when I first arrived. I did not even realize that he had been gone that long when I read in the paper recently of a young Corpsman that had been killed in action in Afghanistan on Aug 27th. It couldn't be MY corpsman, could it?!!? Then, yesterday, I received the email notice of his memorial service today at the chapel. KIA at age 20. I now realize just how dangerous their job really is. Navy Corpsmen go out fighting with Marines, but then also are responsible to selflessly care for their injured Marines while ignoring their own safety. I can't think of a more dangerous situation. More dangerous than the Marines have themselves. He was barely 3 years older than Benjamin. He was buried in Arlington on his 21st birthday. My friend Rob, was in attendance.
Life is short. Live like you're dying... we all are.
Godbless you HM3 Swink, and thank you for your service. You will be sorely missed.
LCDR Butler

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, brad. I know it hits harder once you realize how truly young most of our brave men and women are who are fighting for our freedoms. It is an amazing sacrifice that all of our soldiers give and it is so difficult when it ends so tragically. Our prayers go out to you and this young soldiers family. I am even more excited about you returning home now! Hurry home we can't wait for you to be home! Love ya! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of you and your corpsmen in my prays. It sadden me that there is a war and men and women so young are dying.Our thoughts are with you and his family and friends.Take care. We are waiting for you to come home!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete