Friday, April 13, 2012

Begining the Journey Home

My time in Afghanistan is finally up. I feel I have contributed to the care of our wounded warriors, and hope I have, though my teaching and leadership, increased that capability for when I am gone. I am grateful for the opportunity to have served, and have the utmost respect for those outside the wire that put their lives on the line every day.
I am on my long journey home, which is certainly not direct. I retired my running shoes (after 6 months) as well as my spin shoes (after 5 YEARS). They definitely served me well! My barracks looked rather spartan after I packed all my gear up. The first plane flight was, as is typical, not exactly "luxurious." It was nice finally turning in my weapon and "battle rattle." I was expecting nice hot, sunny weather in Kuwait, but it has actually been kind of dreary and rainy here. We did have a nice sunrise, though, over our tents that we were staying in. They also have a nice gym, a movie theater, and even a pool here at the base in Kuwait! Despite the dreary weather, I am trying to get at least a little "color" before I return to the t-shirts and shorts and flip flops of Phoenix.
I look forward to returning to "normalcy," while at the same time realizing that there are thousands of our service men and women still over in Afghanistan doing what they do every day. I look forward to the day when everyone returns home, as I am doing now.

1 comment: