Wednesday, August 4, 2010

MISSING HOME

Only 8 weeks to go! I can't believe it has been a month since Steph, Ben, and Morgan left. Even seeing a McDonald's with Japanese writing just makes me more homesick. I have definitely enjoyed my time here but am ready to return to Phoenix. By the way, I have not had McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King, or any other fast food (other than Taco Bell once) in the last 8 months!
Since they left, I have absorbed myself back in to work (9 12-hour ER shifts in a 12 day stretch), workouts (back to 4-5 hours a day of P90X, running, swimming, spinning, lifting, and doing the elliptical), and seeing movies (6 since they left, including "Inception" which was great but "mentally taxing!"). I occasionally get some sleep in as well:)
I also finally made it to the Kadena Officer's Club (more affectionately known by its initials). I am glad I went as it was truly something to behold. Words cannot truly describe the surreal experience. It was like a cartoonishly over-the-top version of Top Gun, with pilots all over the place in their well-pressed green flight suits at 11pm on a Friday night, drinking beer and chatting it up with the ladies. Then there were a few that had on black "party" flight suits, too! (did not really understand that one). It truly had to be seen to be fully appreciated (sorry I did not get a picture- did not have my camera with me). Matt (another ER doc out here from San Diego who will deploy with my friend Rob) invited me out with himself and a few others getting ready to deploy as well as some GMO's. It was a fun time and I am glad I finally got to experience it. We were thinking maybe we would show up some night with a big group from the hospital in scrubs, white coats, and stethoscopes to see their reactions! Probably would start a bar fight or something.
We are getting five new doctors this month in the ER. It will be fun meeting them and getting them started out on the right track before I leave. They are all right out of residency. The time will go by fast (it already has)......
LCDR Butler

5 comments:

  1. I hope you didn't break out in song "you've lost that lovin feeling?" Seems like it was fate that took you to that bar so Steph could relive even more of her Top Gun fantasy! Too bad she couldn't have seen it so she could have had a couple of drinks and then turn to you and say "BSB? Take me to bed or lose me forever!". Then you could have hopped into your silver bullet of a car and had Ben drive you home!
    Man I should turn this into a movie!
    Anyways, we are all anxious for you to come home!! We all miss you tons, but can you ease up on the workouts a little? You are beginning to sound like your in the Marine's!
    We

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think you should have gone and tried a big mac to see if it even compared to one in Phx. I agree with Jenn on the workouts, 4-5 hours a day? Wish I could say I stayed with running. The boys start school next week, so hoping to get motivated to go to the gym then.
    Hang in there! Do some scuba diving for me. Swim with a turtle. Scott and I have been watching shark week, dont know if I will EVER go into the ocean again......
    See you soon, miss ya
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. with all your workouts you will be smaller than you were in HS! Maybe you are already?! Sounds like you have been having fun with alittle work in there! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful experience you've had, Brad! But know you're ready for the States. Especially after having your family there for 3 wks. Know the good-byes weren't easy. I agree, your workouts seem L-O-N-G!!!!! Too bad I'm not that motivated! Your evening playing Top Gun sounds hilarious!!! The Little's are headed to AZ for the IA game, but don't think you'll be back by then, dang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know he won't be back - but that benefits me! I think I get his tickets to the game and will be sitting in the SUITE! SWEET! Need to start working on a little wager with Wes! Any ideas? I know...we can have a physical fitness obstacle course with someone they choose from the Iowa clan and we choose BRAD! Now that sounds like fun! Go Brad!

    ReplyDelete