Tuesday, November 27, 2018

THANKSGIVING IN IRAQ

Well, despite the fact that we were NOT supposed to spend Thanksgiving here in Iraq, still, here I am :).  I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, spent with family and loved ones being together and giving thanks for all the blessings so many of us have in our lives.

A little tour through my Thanksgiving in Iraq, as well as living vicariously through my family back home!

They  a do a great job of decorating for holidays here at QWest (as you saw in my Halloween post), and Thanksgiving was no exception (I certainly hope we are NOT here still to see the Christmas decorations :(   The Army is always asking us why the Navy is here in the desert, with no ships and no ocean in sight.  Well, here it is, Army!  Thanks to KBR, our ship finally came in at QWest for Thanksgiving!

 
 
Thanksgiving day began, of course, with some exercise.  I actually did "group exercise" with the hospital (after a couple of hours on my own, of course) during our Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5K.  Although I did not come in first (or last), I did happen to just nudge out our CO (who also happens to be the oldest member of our group).
 
 
 
 
Next, it was off to the DFAC for the first of three Thanksgiving meals!  Of course, we began by praying (along with some creepy pilgrims), followed by eating.  The food was amazing.  It was very strange, however, not being the first in line like is tradition in my household for me!  I also, for the first time I can remember, did not get seconds (I think I have definitely shrunk my stomach).
 

 



 
 
After dinner, drinks followed, of course!  (why they decorated Thanksgiving with a western saloon I will never know, but it made for great pics!:)
 
 
 
 
 
Although I enjoyed my Thanksgiving while still here in Iraq, it certainly was not the same as spending it with family back at home.  It is my favorite holiday exactly for that reason- spending it celebrating my thankfulness surrounded by those I love!  Here Morgan takes on my traditional role by being first in line (followed closely by my nephew and fellow Naval officer Cameron with our dog Midnight in the foreground)......….
 
 
 
Ben and Kelli had to try to outdo me for most exotic place to spend Thanksgiving by spending it in Paris in front of the Eiffel Tower!  Thanks to you both for at least sharing your Thanksgiving with me via What's App :)!!!
 
 
 
 
I hope to be home to spend the next holiday, Christmas, by catching up with you all in person on my Naval Encounter of the Third Time!





No comments:

Post a Comment