Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"REAL" Maritime Navy in Kandahar

Everyone calls us "dirt sailors," but last week we became a "real" maritime force here in Kandahar. Due to the heavy rains, we developed Boardwalk Lake in the middle of the base. I was sad not to see a couple of boats floating on the water. This morning, we would have needed an icebreaker ship to make it through some of the edges.
We also had a nice Mardi Gras party to celebrate the end of the tour for many of our members. Jeff Cook (another ER doc who just got here) and I "dressed up" for the occasion. I obviously worked harder at getting beads than he did! I will miss many of the people here that I have grown to know and worked so hard with saving lives here. They will always hold a special place in my memories. Unfortunately (and fortunately:), all deployments must come to an end, and their end is now. Mine is soon..........

2 comments:

  1. Brad, my Girl Scout troop has 111 boxes (so far) to send to your unit. I understand you may be leaving soon, however, we still want the cookies to go to the unit. Can you give me the person to address them to? You can email me at susan.brown.girlscout@gmail.com.

    Susan Brown
    Arizona Medical Association
    Girl Scout Leader, Troop 211

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad,
    Your Xmas card from Stephanie arrived today (it was delayed being forwarded from our tenants in San Antonio to our home here in Salt Lake City). Looks like your keeping busy and doing a great work over there. I briefly stopped in Kandahar in fall 2010 and the Lung team from Landstuhl flew a guy out on ECMO. That's a great facility and the people were awesome (must be a Navy thing!). We're doing well here in Salt Lake. I'm working like crazy and we're closing on our home here in Salt Lake next week. The civilian life has it's ups and downs, but we are really enjoying the mountains, skiing, and being closer to family. Take care and drop me an email when you have a second.

    Major Balls, adam_balls@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete