Sunday, December 18, 2011

GROUNDHOG DAY

Man, as I was walking to the hospital for morning report today, I realized just how Bill Murray felt. So much for the excitement with the USO tour a few days ago. After being here for almost 2 months, my days off are definitely starting to feel that way! Many of you have been asking what I do on my days off. Well, I have no days "off," as I am always on call for mass casualties, but at least on my days where I am not in the ER for 24 hours straight. Here's a glimpse at my groundhog day schedule: 0500- alarm goes off. Work out until 0645. Shower and get to hospital by 0730. Check email, get coffee, and eat breakfast (one hard boiled egg). Got to morning report and rounds. Have a cup of Chai Latte in the ER and chat with current team for a few minutes. Return to barracks. Work out until 1300. Go to DFAC (Dining Facility) for lunch (turkey, tomato, and provolone sandwich without the bread- I know.... weird:). Back to barracks. Read. Nap. Get up and go to dinner. Go to spin class or movie night. Go to bed... Alarm goes off.......
Thank God for the call days and the Stars and Stripes newspaper (see headline) to break it up! I did, however, catch a couple of interesting headlines on our newspaper's front page (The Stars and Stripes, which we get 1-2 days late on a regular basis, so we are a little "behind the times."). Mr. Walter Pincus must have graduated from ASU's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism to come up with THAT headline. I mean really! Titles should give you actual insight to the article, not mislead you. (OK, since you can't see the article, it was about cuts to the program aimed at curbing casualties from the IED's. Duh. But I still think the headline was funny). However, Mr. Leo Shane III gets the award for most entertaining headline in one of last week's papers! (Actually, I decided not to include that one in my blog, but feel free to email me if you are curious what it said..........;)

3 comments:

  1. If I read that right, three workouts in one day? Brad, you're an animal! Or in the words of Bill Murray, a lean mean fighting machine. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dr. Butler, I just got back from MOS school in Florida and Ive been reading through your blog. Firstly I would like to thank you for the belt buckle. That belt buckle is the coolest belt buckle I have ever seen in my life! Im pretty sure everyone in my barracks is going to be jealous. I haven't had a real chance to thank you but all your support throughout the past few months has been incredibly helpful. Im sure you know exactly how much supportive friends and family can help you when being away from home. I have more respect for you than anyone I know, when people say you inspire them they arnt kidding. Thank you again and good luck in Kandahar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad, you are an inspiration to all!! Love getting a glimpse into your daily life!!

    ReplyDelete