Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Training

Well, in less than 3 weeks I am being transformed from a civilian (well, almost a civilian) doctor into an Army soldier. Or at least that is the idea. Seems impossible but they can cram a lot of training into 12 hour days, 6 days a week. It helps by having a cadre of seasoned Army Drill Instructors teaching us, all of which are veterans of Iraq and/or Afghanistan. They are incredible in their knowledge and their ability to teach a bunch of non-infantry Navy members how to become soldiers.
The accomodations, as you can see from the picture, are less than luxurious:)! Also, as you can see, I am ready to "attack" my barracks as readily as "attack" the gym:)! 30lbs of kevlar and an 8lb helmet starts to wear on the back. And I am in shape! I am really impressed with our Marines and Army infantry who patrol day in and day out in the same gear in 120 degree heat in the summer in Afghanistan and Iraq. Now THAT is in shape. So much for P90X!
I have met many great people here, both reservists as well as active duty. They come from many different backgrounds- from small towns to large, from enlisted to Naval Academy graduates (including one in my barracks from Iowa!). Each one has a unique story to tell so I will often sit with someone new at the chow hall just to meet someone new and hear their story.
I am amazed every day at the degree of patriotism and national pride in the people I am surrounded by.
I will soon be heading out to Kandahar to do the job I signed up for nearly 3 years ago.
Brad

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are getting along in training. I actually didn't have any doubt. Have you been outside of the base at all to see the town? Or have you been in training the entire time? Haven't seen your family much since you left so know they are keeping busy too. TJ and I have decided to go and see EJ in Glasgow in the spring after tax season for our 15th and we are still talking about HI in November next year. Just not sure about Mom wanting to go or Amy getting the time off. Will keep you updated. Take care of yourself! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so proud of you, Brad!! Cool that you met someone from IA!! Thinking/praying for you and your saftey

    ReplyDelete