Sunday, May 16, 2010

CINCO DE MAYO IN OKINAWA!

Cinco de Mayo in Okinawa. They are obviously not aware of our culture back home in Arizona! Instead of celebrating with Mexican food and Margaritas, they held the Dragon Boat races on Cinco de Mayo! It was fun, though, and a beautiful sunny day. They had a big festival including dozens of foof booths and a few stages with various performances throughout the day. Food was great and the Navy women won their race against the Army and Marines! The men did not fare as well. I also found it bizarre that they had outdoor urinals for the men, and enclosed porta-potti's for the women. I figured the Japanese would be too modest to just "turn around and pee" in public but they did. When in Rome........ (so I did, too! :)
Since it was Cinco de Mayo, we held a food festival at work in the ER that night, and I made 3 salsas and some queso con carne! Someone else brought in rice and chile verde pork and we made burritos and ate chips all night! We even had some "virgin" Margaritas!
I am now officially halfway done. I can't believe it is going so quickly. I am looking forward to seeing Steph, Ben, and Morgan next month when they come out and visit. Hopefully the Space-A travel will go smoothly.........
LCDR Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment