Monday, February 15, 2010

A Taste of Asia

I recently got the opportunity to attend "A Taste of Asia," which was an awesome dinner/theater event held at the Butler O Club (yes, the official name of the Marine bases on Okinawa is actually Camp Butler!).
This was a culinary and visual feast, I assure you. I did not realize, when my boss, CDR Dyer, left our meeting early for a "prior engagement," that he was referring to the same event that I would also be attending later that night. I actually still beat him there, so while in line getting food (and eating some at the same time to allow more room on my plate), he came up to me and invited me to sit with him and his wife, Linda. The event was fabulous (as you can see from the pictures) and included awesome food, great costumes, great music, and great traditional Ryukyuan drums and dances. It was also entertaining watching the Air Force medical guys at the table next to us pound the tequila shots! Reminded me of some good ol' Butler parties! The guitar they played is covered with snakeskin from the local Habu snake (the Okinawan version of our rattlesnake). I am also pictured with a shisa dog! Cute, huh?
I am still keeping very busy. Still doing my ER shifts, still having meetings, and still working out a lot. I am in my 5th week (of 13) for P90X. I am down almost 20 lbs. since I arrived on island and am now as light as I have been since college. I hope I don't quite make it to my wrestling weight of 138, though. I am not sure if I am getting stronger or if it is just easier to do chin ups without a 20 lb weight around my ankles!
It was very interesting enjoying "Superbowl Monday" here. Kickoff was at 0830 monday morning. It is such an event that everyone gets the day off on the bases (everyone but the hospital workers, that is). I did get to watch most of it but had to work later that night after it was over. I expected it to be crazy in the ER that night but it wasn't.
I also finally got to go scuba diving with my fellow ER doc Jason. Wow was it cheap. $15 to rent a BC, regulator, weights, and a full tank! We dove off the "seawall" about 1/2 mile from the base. It was great. Incredible coral and clear water. Not too cold, either.
Keep all our service men and women in your prayers to keep them safe while they are keeping you all safe.
LCDR Butler

1 comment:

  1. Boy, where to start on my comments:
    1. I am glad that you are keeping up the tradition of being the first in line to eat! We do notice this absense at our family dinners.

    2. What's it with you Butler's? You were at Tombstone, you are cousins with Gerard, and you have a base named after you? What's next...crashing a White house party? Ha!

    3. T Time! Some of my fondest drinking memories...well what I remember of them! Ha Ha

    Glad to see an update! We are getting busy at the office. Haven't seen Steph & the kids for a while (I took a couple of "skips" from church). Ben and Morgan asked TJ and me to be their confirmation sponsors. We are both very honored and excited. I will be Morgan's "god mother" and sponsor. How cool is that????!!!

    Luke turned 3 on ground hog's day. We had some friends over the Sunday before for cake and ice cream. About 10 of the people that were at our house ended up with the flu (TJ and me included, but not Matt or Luke). I just hope it wasn't my cake! I hope people will still want to come to my house and will eat my cakes again! It was a very yummy cake!
    Take care Brad! Will talk to you soon!
    Love & miss you!

    ReplyDelete