Thursday, January 14, 2010

Brad's in Okinawa now!

Finally in Okinawa. The trip was 24 hours to get here from start to finish. By the time I checked into temporary housing and went to bed, I had been up for over 27 hours! Then I woke up at 0430 Okinawa time! Great. So much for being able to timeshift easily as an ER doc! This week has been busy with orientation. I got my Japanese driver's license but don't know if I really want to drive here. Driving on the left side, signs in Japanese, and a system where you can be criminally prosecuted for a minor fender bender does not sound like something I want to do. And the cars here are TINY. It's like a bunch of smart cars with four seats and "smart car vans!" The vans are smaller than my Honda Civic. The Sequoia is going to seem like a bus after being here for 9 months. The people here are great- both the locals and the Navy personnel I will be working with. The weather, however, is not quite up to the "Hawaii-like" climate I was promised. I had to go out and buy some warmer clothes. Keeping up with P90X (I thought I was in shape until now) and actually found a spin class and a pool. I start work in 2 days after a month off clinically. Can't wait! LCDR Butler

7 comments:

  1. Glad u made it safely. Steph showed us the 2 time zone watch you got her. Very cool. Cant wait for more updates, and some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I think fried scorpions could be considered Mexican food so you can still get your fix!!! Also, Garrett said you could borrow some of his Hot Wheel cars to get around in--sounds like you would fit right in with the rest of traffic!!! As far as the weather, I have several ASU sweaters I can send you if you need them!!! Cant wait to see some pics of your Penthouse Suite and the base if you can!!! Take care...Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting, Brad!! I know you will have an awesome experience in Okinawa! I'm sure you'll make it back to the Japan mainland sometime and if you ever make it to the Navy base Atsugi, that is where Anna and I spent a summer doing Camp Adventure. We loved Japan! Love getting all your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad, so glad to hear you made it safely and things are going well. I knew the cars were really small over there, but didn't realize they drive on the left side of the road. I agree, I probably wouldn't want the responsibility of driving over there either. I'm sure the weather will warm up for you. So glad you have this blog site so we can keep up with you. Think of you, take care!
    Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brad! So happy to hear you've made it! Yeah, I'm challenged driving on the right side of the road as Steve will tell you, so I can definitly understand caution. At least tiny cars make for tiny fender benders. Anyway, I'm always interested in new found cuisine so be sure & update us on what you find to replace mexican in your diet. Take care- good to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it safely! The Chaviras

    ReplyDelete
  7. Already miss you Brad :D -Phillip Bay

    ReplyDelete