Sunday, May 17, 2020

2020- the CORONAPOCALYPSE (the QUARANTINE.....)

No, for those of you who keep asking (and/or assuming), I am still NOT back home.....yet!  Although our mission ended over 2 weeks ago, I have been in extended quarantine since then.  Originally, we were going to be allowed to leave NYC for quarantine so I was packed and ready to go!



However, the decision was made that we are required to test (twice) prior to getting to go home. It took us a few days to get organized and get the testing set up.  After waiting two days for our results, we found out our tests were damaged (the tops popped off in flight we heard :) so we had to retest and wait another 3 days for results.  Then we had to wait for travel arrangements.  All the above  =  a week in quarantine already.  While waiting for test results, we were restricted to our hotel rooms in NYC, except to go downstairs to pick up our delivery food. No more runs :(  I did finally have some great NYC pizza, though, as recommended by Steph's lifelong friend Susan who has lived in NYC since we graduated from UofA.  Thank you Susan for the recommendation of Joe's Pizza!


Unfortunately, the week in quarantine in NYC awaiting our test results did NOT count toward our mandated 14 days of Restriction of Movement or "ROM" (which is essentially quarantine to hotel) that is required after leaving a "hot spot" before we can return home.  I did test negative, so I was allowed to travel on to San Diego on Mother's Day to complete my 14 day ROM.

 
 
After a 24 hour, painful travel day, we finally arrived at our hotel in San Diego, our home for the next 14 days of ROM.  Unfortunately, as part of ROM we are restricted to within 100 feet of the hotel, even for exercise.  Needless to say, running 20 laps around the hotel daily is NOT an enjoyable way to exercise.  I did decorate my room again, with both UofA as well as my "gym" for P90X (i.e. a chin up bar:).
 


They did realize, after a couple days, that we were no longer deployed and finally relented to allow us to have a glass of wine or beer with our meals or while relaxing (in a very socially distanced manner) on the patio at sunset.


Lots of working out, lots of reading, What's App'ing with family and friends, working on my Navy "Joint Professional Military Education," watching a few movies, attending teleconferences, keeping up with the news (switching between FOX, CNN, and MSNBC so I don't get too much of the same perspective :), doing interviews for Navy recruiters, and answering emails is how I am trying to occupy my time.  Starting to get old, however, and making me a little stir crazy after over 2 weeks already in quarantine.  Almost done, though! Glad to hear my gym and movie theaters and restaurants are opening up back home.  YEA! Can't wait! See you all soon!


 


 

2 comments:

  1. Been thinking of you and checking your blog to see if you have arrived back in AZ! I bet the few days of quarantine in NY about killed you not being able to leave your hotel room. Sounds like you are staying busy with work type stuff in CA! You will be back in the sun soon!!! What a ride you have had!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to Macayos or Garcias or wherever we go to celebrate your returns from deployment!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete