Monday, March 22, 2010

THE BUS "UNLOADED"

To all my friends in the ER that often comment or joke about the bus "unloading," I actually saw it happen. In fact, on Okinawa the US Air Force actually HAS such a bus (an "abulance bus") and really sent it to our ER carrying patients. We took a picture just to prove it! I almost fell down laughing as I went outside to see it for myself and we just HAD to take a picture! St. Patrick's Day was fun on island and they actually have an Irish pub that we went to that night to celebrate with a Guinness and some green beer! Although my friend Mike (a GMO who works in the ER with us and is planning on doing an ER residency when he finishes his 4 years as a GMO in payback for medical school) had a great Irish rugby shirt, the closest I could come was a black shirt with "slightly greenISH" colors on a design on the front of it (that people have told me looks like a marijuana plant!). We did have a good time, though (and after seeing some of the really drunk people I understand better just how we get many of them as patients). I missed a party last weekend (SOMEONE has to work nights) at another ER doc's apartment that was celebrating her return from Iraq and making care packages for those still deployed. I had to send a snack, though, and what better than "SPUSHI" and "SPASHIMI???" (They love SPAM here, and even make sushi out of it so I figured I would try my hand at a local dish:)! I am still doing well despite missing everyone back home a lot. I try to keep busy by working out and working (a ton) which keeps my mind off family, friends, and home. I only have a wee bit over 6 months to go, although I really am enjoying the Navy and working in the ER here. I just finished reading "With the Old Breed" by EB Sledge, which is about the battle for Okinawa and Peleliu in the Pacific during WWII. It is a great book and made me very excited about seeing the Speilberg epic "The Pacific" currently playing on HBO. Although I don't have HBO, I highly recommend the series for everyone who does. It is partially based on EB Sledge and two other Marines in the Pacific during WWII. I am, however, still able to follow LOST on Hulu and occasionally on AFN (the military channel here). Until I blog again.......... LCDR Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment